With the cold months approaching I figured there’s no better time to write this. Boogers, fevers and coughs are inevitable this time of year for kids…Especially right now since many of them have gone back to school after hibernating since March 😳 You’ve probably already forgotten the wonderful consequences of exposing your child to other children. They leave the house healthy and come back sick. If you don’t instill healthy habits into your child’s daily life their little bodies won’t be strong enough to tackle environmental cooties.
My brains storage capacity has reached it’s limit so this specific post NEEDED to be documented for future reference. I know it’s easier to go to your pediatrician or simply give your child Tylenol but over the counter drugs and prescribed meds should be your LAST resort. I prefer a positive long term effect versus applying a bandage that simply stops the problem from bleeding short term. Since having children I’ve gone into complete organic mom mode. Wish I applied more of an organic lifestyle when it comes to me lol but for now I want to give my kids the very best. Starting with addressing certain sickness’s in the most gentle, holistic way possible.
I asked everyone on my IG to participate in a questionnaire and the responses were overwhelming. I knew moms were superheroes, but I did not know we can pass for doctors too! You guys are awesome!!!! So I’ll just jump right in! Take notes or feel free to loop back around because this post will be up forever! In fact I’ll most likely be adding more things as I further educate myself and see what really works for my children.
What you can do EVERYDAY to maintain a healthy environment:
Humidifiers – There are sooooo many benefits of having a humidifier. Although we never had to use one because we live in FL and it’s naturally very hydrating and moist here. If you are in a drier location humidifiers are great to add moisture back into the air preventing sore throats, dry sinuses and stuffy noses.
Air purfier – We’ve had an air purifier in Tristan room since he was a baby. He’s my sensitive child and anything throws his little body off. An air purifier will get rid of the most common types of air pollutants, volatile organic compounds, and odors. Make sure the one you get has either a True HEPA filter or Activated Carbon Filter. Even better get one with UV-C Light. This light works specifically to destroy germs, bacteria, viruses, and fungi in order to help reduce infections and sicknesses.
We have this one – https://amzn.to/34tffKh
Essential Oil Diffuser – Essential oils work wonders and I really really wish I was more educated on this. I don’t know why, but I have a hard time believing that this little machine with a few drops of oil cures so many problems but moms swear by it especially the Young Living brand. So because I don’t want to be left out I joined the Young Living world. I don’t know what half my oils are used for, but I like knowing I have them lol
Probiotics – we use the Mary Ruths Probiotic drops
Limit screen time!
Colloidal Silver – Let me just say, this is a MUST have in your medicine cabinet! It’s a natural antibiotic that works in a million different ways. Colloidal Silver is 100% natural making it safe to use on the whole family, from new-born babies to the elderly. It kills around 650 different strains of pathogens, and is a great boost for the immune system.
Elderberry Syrup – It’s a no brainer. Elderberry is a magic fruit packed with good health. It is known for its healing and immune-boosting properties. It’s used for infections, coughs, and the common cold. Which is why having it during the cold and flu season is a good idea. Luna recently went to school so I knew she’d be exposed to a lot of new germs. I started giving her elderberry syrup everyday a week before she started just to make her stronger and fight off any harmful bacteria lurking in the air.
Don’t over use the Colloidal Silver or Elderberry syrup. Their bodies can build an immunity to it so it shouldn’t be taken everyday. Good to take when you’ve been around someone sick, traveling, big public places etc..
TRS Spray!!!! – I recently heard about this when my son had a bad reaction to a vaccine and my gosh I can’t thank the mommas enough who told me about this product. Unfortunately you can’t detox the body from a vaccine but you CAN detox it from heavy metals which is what’s found in MANY nasty vaccines. You may have seen me spray a little blue bottle into my kids mouths and it’s this – http://lianawhoo.mycoseva.com
Smoothies! – This is a great way to add veggies to their diet without them even realizing it!
Don’t forget the basics! Plenty of water, fruits, and veggies. Think healthy diet over supplements. Organic Foods (even though it’s more expensive, but pick and choose wisely.) Go outside, get plenty of natural vitamin D! Fresh air, sunshine, let em roll around in dirt lol anything to build their immune systems naturally!
Most importantly don’t forget building good health also comes from LOVE. Be gentle, be patient, be kind. Encourage them, hug them a little tighter, give them slobbery kisses, words of affirmation are a MUST. They can have a strong immune system, but they need to be mentally strong as well!
Bad Cough/Breathing Heavy:
• Humidifier with essential oils (peppermint, thieves from YL, eucalyptus, peppermint, tea tree, lavender, thyme, clove and lemongrass.
• Young living has an essential oil called “Thieves.” You can rub it on their feet morning and night. Mix it with a carrier oil for example grape seed, coconut etc. Also there’s a thieves chest rub.
• Saline Spray
• Raven a natural Vicks.
• Nebulizer with saline
• Manuka Honey
• Lemon ginger tea with honey
• Zarbees mucus and cough. Any Zarbee products are great!
• Fridababy vapor bath bombs
• Turn shower on really hot, let bathroom steam up and just sit there having them breath it in. Diffuse eucalyptus oil or even a live eucalyptus to fill the air.
• Vicks vaporub on bottom of feet and chest (there’s one for babies) Or use the Zarbees one.
Fevers are a natural response to fight off an infection. Don’t be so quick to grab the Tylenol! Try this for a day or two to see if fever comes down. If fever goes over 103 or last for over 48 hours go to doctor.
• The key is HYDRATION.
• Pedialyte popsicles are a great way to keep them hydrated if they refuse liquids.
• Warm bath. You can add Bentonite Clay or Magnesium Flakes.
• Bentonite Clay on the bottom of their feet wrapped with saran wrap. Also draws heat out.
• Peppermint, Lavender, or Lemon Oil. Or a combination of all 3, diluted in coconut oil. Apply to bottom of feet.
• Cool rag on forehead
• Soak socks in vinegar
• Crush up garlic. Let sit for 10 minutes with olive oil. Put on bottoms of feet wrap with plastic wrap and put socks on. This pulls heat and toxins from the head and chest.
It’s a personal preference whether you give your child over the counter medicine or not but I give my kids Tylenol or Motrin when they are extremely uncomfortable.
• Freeze fruits in these: https://amzn.to/34HCzEg I’ve recently been putting frozen grapes and I’m telling you Tristan is obsessed! Or ice!! Except have extra clothes on hand lol
• Celery Sticks to chew on (before they can bite it!) It’s a natural inflammatory.
• Camilia!!! (Lifesaver with Tristan!) https://amzn.to/2Jq0osd
• Frozen washcloths
• Let them chew on a organic bristle toothbrush. It massages their gums.
• Hylands Teething Tablets https://amzn.to/2Gedyar
• Tequila for the parents lol
Safe Vaccine Detox:
• TRS Spray http://lianawhoo.mycoseva.com
• Epsom Salt Baths
• Slice of potato in their socks overnight. Pulls out the toxins!
• Dip Veggies/Fruits in peanut butter or ranch.
• Boiled carrots with a little bit of honey
• Organic Cheerios
• Organic String Cheese
• Hide veggies in smoothies
Shop smart. When you go to the grocery store think FRESH. The majority of the food you get should be along the outside (meats, veggies, fruits, seafood.) Not the inside isles with preserved foods.
First and foremost this requires PATIENCE, and bending the rules. Such as giving them that iPad just so they can sit still. Or reward them with candy! I know some of you mommas do stickers, but come on….I think candy over a sticker will give any kid the desire to shit more. Don’t beat yourself up during this stage. It’s true what they say, when the child is ready they’ll let you know. Encourage it, but don’t force it. Let them watch you go to the bathroom so they can see it’s normal and okay. Don’t make them feel like pooping is a “bad thing.” That was my mistake and now I’m struggling with Luna. I use to tell her all the kids will laugh at her if she poops her pants so now the poor girl hold’s it in! She goes to bathroom like once every 4-5 days. So that’s where constipation comes in….
• Diets high in fiber. Blueberries, prunes, avocados, dried fruits, apples….
• Half a cap of miralax if child is super backed up.
• Activia yogurt. Has probiotics in it.
• Add chia seeds to their diet. I just ordered these mamma chia squeezes.
• Prune juice or pear juice
• Magnesium gummies. Relaxes the muscles and softens the stool. Just got Luna these
I think I covered a lot and saved you a doctor visit. I know us mommas have ONE major thing in common and that’s wanting the best for our children. A healthier future starts with little changes. Don’t overwhelm yourself, take it one day at time. You didn’t become the best mother overnight so you can’t expect to become the best doctor either =) It take’s time and lot’s of experimenting because what works for someone else may not work for you.
And please, PLEASE don’t hesitate to leave any tips or advice below!